HNU to the World!

the World to HNU


Home >HNU Life >VISA

After starting education here at Hannam University, all the matters concerned with immigration and visas should be handled by the Center for International Relations (CIR). Thus when you have a problem with your visa status or any other questions, please visit our CIR office. We would be pleased to help you.

All foreigners remaining in Korea over 90 days must obtain a Certificate of Alien Registration from the Immigration Office and complete the Alien Registration within the period. Application for the Certificate of Alien Registration costs 30,000 KRW (about US$30) and requires three passport-size photos.

Alien Registration Card can be reissued after reporting in case of loss.

Students who wish to extend their stay in Korea beyond the period of their visa should apply for a visa extension prior to the expiration date of stay otherwise they would be fined for violation the law. Students who have completed their course here are also eligible to apply for an extension of visa, one year for M.A. students and two years for Ph.D. students after completed their coursework. For those students who are continuing their studies here, it’s a relief for them that they don’t need to worry for the extension as the CIR office handling regarding this matter. If you wish to leave temporarily and re-enter Korea within the period of stay given, you are required to apply for a re-entry permit before leaving Korea. However, people, who fall under the following categories, are exempted from this.

  1. If you are a national of the countries below, you are exempt from having to apply for a re-entry permit : Surinam, The Netherlands, Norway, Denmark, Germany, Luxemburg, Belgium, Sweden, Switzerland (including Liechtenstein), France, Finland, Granada
  2. If you have a multiple Korean visa, you don't have to obtain a re-entry permit, but only on the condition that you return to Korea within the period of stay given.

※Note: If you leave Korea without a re-entry permit, you must get a new Korean visa to return to Korea even if your period of stay has not yet expired.
※ For more details about visa applications, please visit http://www.hikorea.go.kr
※ Immigration Offices

  • Seoul
  • 02-2650-6212
  • Busan
  • 051-461-3021
  • Daejeon
  • 042-220-2000~4
  • Incheon
  • 032-889-9936
  • Gimhae Airport
  • 051-972-1610/5
  • Incheon Int'l Airport
  • 032-740-7015~9
  • Jeju-do
  • 064-722-3494

VISA Information

Issuance of ARC (Alien Registration Card)
  • Alien Registration Card
  • Valid Passport

    Completed ARC Application Form (available at Center for International Relations)

    One Color Photograph (3cm x 4cm)

    Certificate of Enrollment or Proof of Registration

    Certificate of Admission (acceptance letter from Hannam University)
    ※ D-2: available at Center for International Relations

    D-4-4: available at Center for Korean Language & Culture

    Certificate of Insurance Enrollment.

    Processing Fee 10,000(KRW)

Change of VISA Status
  • Required Documents
  • D-4 → D-2
    (Language Course → Undergraduate/Graduate)
  • Valid passport and Alien Registration Card

    A Written Application for Extending the Length of stay (available at CIR)

    Certificate of Admission (Acceptance Letter from Hannam University)

    Proof of Enrollment or Certificate of receiving a Scholarship (including requested Contents for Exemption of Commission

    Attendance, Transcript, and Certificate of training of Korean Language Course.
    ※ Only if the Student takes Language Course in Korea

    Certificate of Enrollment of Insurance.

    Processing Fee 30,000 (KRW)

Change of VISA Status
  • Required Documents
  • Current D-2 Student,
    Current D-4 Student,
    Student who prepares the Thesis
  • Valid Passport and Alien Registration Card

    Written Application (available at CIR)

    Integrated form of Recommendation for Part-time Work of foreign Student (available at CIR)


    A copy of Business Registration Certificate
    ※ During the Semester: within 20 Hours per a Week(Mon to Fri), possible to have two Jobs.

Application for a Reentry Permit

Within the length of visit (due date of ARC), Application for a reentry permit isn’t needed if the expected date of departure from Korea is under one year.

Foreign Students

In order to study in Korea for more than 90 days, you need to apply for a D-2 student visa. A student visa can be obtained at Korean Embassies and consulates, usually overnight. It can be extended here in Daejeon without having to leave Korea.

To apply for a student visa (D-2), you will need the following items:
  1. Completed visa application form (available at http://www.hikorea.go.kr)
  2. Valid passport
  3. Certificate of admission (acceptance letter from Hannam University)
  4. Bank statement (or scholarship certificate)

    If you are a non-exchange student:
    a minimum of 8,000 USD for one semester during the last month, or a minimum of 17,000 USD for two semesters during the last month.

    If you are an exchange student:
    a minimum of 3,600 USD for one semester during the last month, or a minimum of 8,500 USD for two semesters during the last month.

  5. Two passport-size photographs (3.5cm X 4.5cm)
  6. Visa Processing Fee (Single Entry: 30 USD, Multiple Entry: 50 USD)

  • Note 1: If you already received a C-3 visa (short-term permission for general purpose) instead of a D-2 visa, you must change your visa status within 30 days after arrival.
  • Note 2: There are two types of visas; one is single entry, the other is multiple entries. If you want to travel abroad during your exchange program in Daejeon, we recommend a multiple entry type of D-2 visa. The embassy or consulate will issue you a single entry visa if you do not specifically request a multiple entry visa.
  • Note 3: If you want to study the Korean language, you should apply for the D-4 visa.

Foreign Professors

Foreign professors need to apply for the E-1 professor visa. Foreign professors must qualify under the Higher Education Act to lecture or research at educational facilities or be a qualified professional in the field of science (i.e., a person who lectures or studies at a science-related educational facility with a recommendation from the Minister of Science and Technology).

To apply for a E-1 professor visa, please send the following items to the Office of International Affairs:
  1. Copy of passport
  2. Application for recognition of visa issuance (available at >http://www.hikorea.go.kr)
  3. Copy of c.v. or resume
  4. Official document of degree conferment (e.g. diploma, official school transcript)
  5. Employment verification (if you are currently employed)
  6. Copy of exchange agreement (if you are invited as an exchange professor)
  7. Visa processing fee (single entry: 30 USD; multiple entry: 50 USD)
  8. One passport-size photograph (3.5cm X 4.5cm)

All documents must be in English and Korean. Please contact the Office of Center for International Relations for further questions.